Resource Efficiency: World Trends
Our beautiful planet has no time for infinitely long experience, research and debate before we take effective steps to reduce the burden on the environment. Now we must quickly learn from the knowledge and experience that achieved in different parts of the world and together use the combined knowledge to improve resource efficiency for the coming years and decades.
Ernst Ulrich von Weizsäcker,
co-president of the Club of Rome
Humanity focused on unlimited growth of consumption, are increasingly faced with resource constraints.
Resource efficiency is becoming the most important factor of sustainable economic growth. The idea of resource efficiency is now a priority for the European Union and other developed countries.
The report "The revolution in resource efficiency: how to meet the world's needs for energy, industrial materials, food and water" calls radically re-watch approach to the use of resources to keep pace with the rapidly growing need for them, referring to the fact that in the next 20 years to nearly two-billionth of the army of middle class consumers will add another 3 billion.
World experts have called for a "revolution" in resource efficiency:
- development of fundamentally new mechanisms for efficient use of all resources and to ensure their reproduction;
- fundamental technological modernization of the global economy, provides, on the one hand, training with new competencies, and the establishment of research centers, innovative ideas and technologies in the field of resource efficiency.
The world's scientific and educational center, a way to answer the challenges of resource efficiency, National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University strive to become it.
Tomsk Polytechnic University - university of resource-efficient technologies
Formation at the Tomsk Polytechnic University (TPU) unified research and education center focused on the problems of efficient use of resources, is intended to ensure the production, concentration and distribution of culture, knowledge and technologies in the field of resource efficiency.
In 2009 TPU won federal competition selection of development programs of universities in respect of which the category "national research university". A key point of the program of TPU was announced the formation of high school as a world-class university-based staffing and development of technologies for resource-efficient economy.
TPU have all features to accomplish the task:
- Traditions and scientific-pedagogical schools of the first technical university in the Asian part of Russia (TPU founded in 1896).
- 11 institutes, 17 research and educational centers, 68 Research Laboratories, including international and collaborative research centers of the Russian Academy of Sciences,, international and domestic industrial companies.
- Development of leading scientific schools of the Russian Federation corresponding to the priority areas of science, technology and engineering. Among them, the school of chemistry and chemical engineering, groundwater geochemistry, efficiency and reliability of power generation and transmission, indestructible quality control materials, nuclear physics and technology, particle accelerators, the beams of plasma, and the electric technologies, etc.
- Among the scientific and pedagogical workers of TPU - 22 academicians and corresponding member of the State academies of sciences, 375 doctors and 1214 PhDs.
- International Scientific Council of TPU is headed by the Nobel prizewinner in Chemistry (2011) Dan Shechtman (Israel).
- A powerful innovation infrastructure, including nuclear research reactor, a network of centers for collective use modern scientific equipment, innovation and technology center, technology transfer centers, technology incubators and so on.
- TPU is the world's developer and supplier of small betatron with energy from 3 to 18 MeV for the nondestructive testing of materials and products
- TPU designed resource efficient drinking water purification systems are implemented and operated in three federal districts of Russia (more than 50 settlements and industrial facilities).
- TPU takes 1st place among Russian universities on extrabudgetary scientific research and development activities (R & D) from foreign sources (US $ 6 million per year).
- TPU participates in programs of innovative development of the Russian Federation of 14 state-owned corporations, for 6 of them TPU is the basic university ("Gazprom", "Rosatom", Energy Systems of the East " The JSC “Academician M.F. Reshetnev “Information Satellite Systems“ and others.). TPU is included in the 24 technological platforms.
- TPU - developer program on energy conservation and energy efficiency of Tomsk region, Tomsk city heating schemes.
- TPU innovative belt includes more than 90 small businesses that produce high technology products.
TPU developed educational module "Resource Efficiency", prepared and published a textbook "Principals of resource efficiency", optional subject matter of the same name introduced in the curriculum (for all specialties and areas of undergraduate).
In October 2012, the Academic Council of TPU confirmed the Development Program of resource efficiency of National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University for the period 2013-2018.
In 2013, Tomsk Polytechnic University was among 15 Russian universities, who won the competition for the state support for entry into the top 100 of the world rankings, and successfully defended its plan to improve the competitiveness of the program ("roadmap").
The program provides the formation of TPU as the network center of excellence in the field of resource-efficient technologies.